Butler Blow Torches: A History

Updated April 2017. See Revisions

And a background to other Canadian Blow Torch manufacturers & suppliers

Welcome to this website article. Hopefully it will be of interest to anyone who had a personal or working connection with W H Butler, the Butler Company, or to anyone with an interest in Canadian Blow Torches, or Blow Torches in general. 

Coleman enthusiasts will hopefully also find the article of interest.

Please Scroll Down the Page, or choose from the Contents:

   

Butler Blowtorches: A History

Introduction

The range of models produced by Butler for themselves & others

William Butler: Early Years, Hamilton, Ontario

Start of Blow Torch manufacture, Preston, Ontario

War Years
Post War / 1950s

1960s (& the Maxwell connection)

1970s: Final Years of Blow Torch manufacture

1970s: Meaford Steel Products Post Blow Torch history

Markings & Decals used by Butler

Part numbers, model numbers, & markings to burners / the 200 K mark

Variations, & dating of Blow Torch examples  

Blow Torch tank construction

Chronology: Summary of approximate dates & setup of Company

Packaging & instructions

Butler Blow Torches produced for, or distributed by, others

Coleman Blow Torches Dominion Blow Torches

Engineering Tool & Forgings Ltd

National Blow Torches

Teco: Eaton's

Other Canadian Blow Torch Manufacturers / Retailers

Eaton's Dominion

The Brown Boggs Company 

Canadian Hauck Burner Company

Information Sources, Links, Comments etc

Information Sources & Acknowledgements

Links Collection (past & present)

Comments / feedback

Revisions to Website / Copyright

Return to the Blowlamp.co.uk Home Page

 

Introduction: Butler Blow Torches

Butler produced blow torches from 1940 until 1973(?) during which time they were almost certainly the main - if not the only - manufacturer of blow torches in Canada. However, the history of Butler as a Company spans more than a hundred years. It was founded by William Butler, in Hamilton, Ontario in 1892 and it closed in Cambridge (Preston) Ontario in what is believed to be 2002.

The early years in Hamilton are briefly documented, describing something of the Company's activities in its formative years. However, during the later period in Preston, Ontario, very little literature describing the range of products, apart from blow torches, is to be found. The Company was variously listed as a manufacturer of stamped metal parts, metal products, and machine screw products, mainly for vehicles and the auto industries. Of blow torch production, there are a number of trade listings, references and advertisements available, which inform the history and some of the detail of Butler's blow torch manufacturing side of the Company.

Butler's thirty-three years or so of blow torch production was a considerable length of time considering that the design and format of their range of blow torches remained fundamentally the same over this period. Butler were not unique in this respect, in that the basic style and function of the standard types of blow torch produced by the main US manufacturers - Clayton & Lambert, Otto Bernz, Turner, and others - was also basically unchanged from around the early 1900s up to the decline of this type of blow torch in the 1970s.

Model 100 (quart example)

Model 100A (quart example)  

    Model 150 (quart example)

Model 200 (quart example)   Model 200S (2 quart)

The above examples illustrate the five models produced. The 200S apart, all were available in either a pint or quart size. All were gasoline (petrol) fuelled. Kerosene (paraffin) was an optional fuel on models 200 and 200S. With one or two exceptions, most notably the handle brackets, these models could have been produced at any point during the time that Butler manufactured blow torches. Some variation of details is discussed later. Some (if not all) of these models were also produced for the other companies or distributors shown immediately below. Butler Meaford is a possible exception as discussed later 

 

The range of models produced by Butler for themselves and for others

Butler

  Coleman (Canada)    

 Dominion  

 National Tool   

Teco (Eatons)

               ETF 

Butler-Meaford

 100 (quart)                

 92(quart)                     500 (quart)  20 (quart) (see note 3)             100Q (quart)          

 100 (pint)                

 

 501 (pint)              100P (pint)

 241 (?) (see note 3)

 100A (quart)  102 (quart)  502 (quart)         

 52 (quart) (see note 3)

         

 Equivalent known.

 100A (pint)

 91 & 101 (pint) 

 503 (pint)           

 53 (pint) (see note 3)

                     
 150 (quart)   152 (quart)  504 (quart)  30 (quart) (see note 3)    125 / 150 (quart)  Equivalent known.
 150 (pint)  151 (pint)  505 (pint)        Equivalent known.
 200 (quart) (k)   202 (quart)    506 (quart)      200 (quart)  
   204 (quart) (ke)   508 (quart) (ke)             
 200 (pint) (k)  201 (pint)          507 (pint)        
   203 (pint) (ke)  509 (pint) (ke)        
 200S (2 quart) (k)  251 (2 quart)

 

       
 

 252 (2 quart) (ke)

         

Notes:

1. All models were gasoline (petrol) fuelled. Kerosene (paraffin) was an optional fuel on models denoted (k). Kerosene was the fuel on models denoted (ke).

2. Butler kerosene models sold in Great Britain were suffixed with ‘K’, i.e. Model 200K (both pint & quart). These models may have had black painted handles. See below.

3. Model Numbers for National Tool are possibly incomplete. Model numbers for TECO and Butler-Meaford are at present a guess.

Apart from the Butler range listed above left, there are the known companies or distributors for which Butler produced blow torches, although it is not certain in each case exactly when, or to what extent. This is discussed later. We know for example that the relationship with Coleman was over quite a long period, and the Coleman Stove & Lamp Company, Toronto, was at one time listed as export agents to Butler. It is also thought that Butler-Meaford did not appear until the 1970s, and was possibly the outcome of some sort of transfer of the blow torch production side of Butler to Meaford Steel. 

 

Continue for Butler History, or see below for more information on the other companies or distributors listed

 

William Butler: Early years, Hamilton, Ontario

Interior of William Butler's Machine Shop ~ 1910 (Magazine of Industry and Daily Times, Souvenir Edition)

Reference in Hamilton city directory ~ 1927

Advertisement ~ 1933

The earliest available reference is to the William Butler Machine Company being established in 1892 in Hamilton, Ontario. Local records for 1908 (Hamilton Herald) and 1910 (Magazine of Industry and Daily Times) describe William Butler as proprietor, and having premises at 18-20 Mary Street, Hamilton, from the outset of the business. He is described as being an expert machinist with an understanding of the requirements of the trade, which is principally local to Hamilton, and within Ontario. He employs a number of skilled workmen (seven in 1910) and manufactures special machinery, dies, tools, power presses etc. He is also an agent for belting and pulleys, and Fairbanks-Morse gas and gasoline engines, and is noted for making a speciality of general repairing of machinery. In 1910, he is described as having been a resident of Hamilton for 40 years. A further reference, in a Hamilton city directory of 1927 gives a new location for the business, 17-19 Hunter Street West, and a residence at 41 Grant Avenue. A final reference is from an advertisement of 1933 which gives the business address as 132-8 York Street, Hamilton. Interestingly, this entry is headed 'metal stampings', a possible indication of the development of a new production process during the latter years in Hamilton, and a precursor to the forthcoming move to Preston, with change of business name, in 1938.

 

Start of Blow Torch manufacture, Preston, Ontario 

In 1938 operations were moved from Hamilton to Preston, Ontario, where a number of machine screw machines were acquired and the name changed to Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited.  

In 1940 the Company began the production of Blow Torches, although the extent to which blow torch manufacture formed a part of the overall range of production is not known. Recent information regarding Engineering Tool & Forgings Ltd suggests a start date for the production of blow torches of 1939. See Revisions to Website

The first documented reference available for this period is an advertisement for Butler blow torches, in the Caverhill, Learmont & Co Limited hardware catalogue of 1940 (left). Four models are listed, the 100, 100A, 150 and 200 (the two quart sized 200S is not listed at this point). Of note is that a very similar advertisement appears in the same hardware catalogue of 1960, (see below the 1960s). Although the 1940 version is not specific on the full range of models produced, it is probably safe to assume that all models and sizes were in production, if not from the outset, then at some point during the 1940s. 

Detailed descriptions, including listings of spare parts, can be seen by reference to the advertisements, but essentially the models produced ranged from the lower priced 100 and 100A, both described as suitable for household or intermittent use, to the medium priced mechanic's torch, the model 150, and finally the heavy duty mechanic's torch, the model 200. The 200S was effectively a model 200 but with a two quart (half-gallon) capacity tank.

All models ran on gasoline (petrol), whilst kerosene (paraffin) was an option on the 200 and 200S models. The gasoline / kerosene variation was determined by the type of control valve needle and jet block that were fitted.

Note that the Butler style and design of blow torch was typical of that of many of the US manufacturers at this time, notably Clayton & Lambert, Otto Bernz, Turner, and others.

Caverhill, Learmont & Co (1940)

 

War Years

During WWII Butler concentrated on war orders for General Motors and produced stamped metal parts for army trucks and other vehicles. The extent to which this affected the production of blow torches and other manufactured items is unknown. However, WWII Canadian Munitions & Supply registries document blow torch purchases from Butler throughout the war period, with the earliest noted being in 1941, although a 1940 dated Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps packing slip lists a Butler 100A torch. However, it is of note that Canadian military purchases following the end of WWII were virtually nil. The Canadian Government acceptance mark - a broad arrow inside the letter 'C' (left) - which was exclusive to Canada, would have been present on military issue equipment, and is understood to have been seen on various blow torches including Butler and Clayton & Lambert. The mark is said to have been stamped in black ink on the brass surface (see inset to left) in some cases on the underside of the tank, rather than being permanently impressed into the brass itself, and so could wear off quite easily. However Further information (added April 2017, see Revisions to Website) clearly shows the ordnance mark stamped into the pump knob of a fine example of a Butler 200S.

 

Post War / 1950s

The first post-war reference available is from the Canadian Trade Index of 1946, and is for the Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited, located on Guelph Street in Preston, Ontario. They are described as producing machine screw products and their brand is Butler. They do work for the Coleman Lamp & Stove Company of Toronto, Ontario, which is the first link to be established with the well known Coleman Company, although there is a possibility that Butler were producing blow torches for Coleman as early as 1942 (see Coleman Blow Torches, below).

There is a quarter page advertisement from the aforementioned Canadian Trade Index of 1946 (far left) stating "We Produce a Complete Line of Gasoline and Kerosene or Paraffin Models to Meet All Requirements. In Pint, Quart or Two Quarts Sizes". There is also reference in this advertisement to three agents for the Company, J C Adams of Toronto, A C Gibb of Montreal, and Wm A Meyer based in London, England. William A Meyer were at the time (or had been) stockists / agents for Max Sievert and others. A very similar advertisement (near left) appears in the 1953, 1956, 1959 and 1960 editions of the Canadian Trade Index. This version of the advertisement differs from the 1946 version in that the name is now Butler Metal Products Limited, and the Coleman Lamp & Stove Company of Toronto are listed as Export Agents (in addition to the three aforementioned agents). 

Note that the same basic layout is used for both of these advertisements, including the same illustration, despite small detail changes over this period (see Variations, and dating of Blow Torch examples). The use of the same illustration was probably to save on the costs of new art work / printer's blocks. Also to note in these (and some similar) advertisements is that the familiar ‘Butler’ label or decal is seen on the side of the tank, presumably for illustrative purposes, whilst in reality (and in other illustrations) it is always on the front of the tank.

Given this information, the name change from Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited to Butler Metal Products Limited must have taken place sometime between 1946 and 1953. There is the possibility that the actual date was 1949 when one source states that Butler was purchased by, or possibly, came under the management of, Mindustrial Corporation Limited. This is discussed further in 'the 1960s' below.

Canadian Trade Index (1946)

Canadian Trade Index (1953 / 56 / 59 / 60)

Further information (added April 2017, see Revisions to Website) is the Butler advert (left) dated February 1949, which clearly gives the Company name as Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited which puts the name change to Butler Metal Products Limited at sometime between 1949 and 1953.

A further reference for this period is an advertisement for the four main Butler blow torch models – together with other makes of blow torch – in the Wood Alexander Ltd Industrial Catalogue No 50, of 1950 (below left). There are also two examples of a Butler Metal Products Limited advertisement for three models of Butler blow torch in the Hardware and Metal and Electrical Dealer catalogue / magazine of 1953 (below centre). In both examples, the two aforementioned Canadian agents, J C Adams & A C Gibb are mentioned. Of note is that the model 150 is not shown in these two advertisements even though there is nothing to suggest that production of this particular model ceased any earlier - or later -  than any of the other models. Similarly, the two quart (200S) model is also not listed.

Finally for this period is a leaflet, produced by the aforementioned Wm. A Meyer of London (below right) for what is described as ‘The Butler Canadian Blow and Brazing Lamps’. This could date from as early as 1946, when the Canadian Trade Index advertisement for that year (above left) lists Meyer as agents for the Company. Meyer appears - from this leaflet - to only have sold the two models from the top of Butler's range, the 150 and the 200. Models 150 (pint) and 200 (quart) are the two petrol types shown, whilst two paraffin models are listed as 200 K (pint and quart). It is possible that the suffix 'K' (which arguably could be said to indicate Kerosene) appears only to have been used for this model when being sold or distributed in Britain by William A Meyer. See further discussion below.

The reference in the Meyer advertisement to ‘blow lamps’ rather than ‘blow torches’ is interesting in that it probably illustrates one of the distinctions between the two terms which are respectively used - though not exclusively - on each side of the Atlantic even to this day.

The William A Meyer reference is the only direct evidence available of the sale of Butler blow torches anywhere other than in Canada. Although Coleman (Toronto) were listed as export agents to Butler, there is nothing known about Coleman's activities in this respect. If Coleman did export blow torches it might be expected that they were those produced by Butler, but with the Coleman label, and that they would have been sold primarily in the United States. There is further discussion on Coleman later.

Butler Advert - February 1949

 

Wood Alexander Limited catalogue (1950)

 Hardware and Metal and Electrical Dealer catalogue / magazine (1953)

William A Meyer, London. Leaflet from as early as 1946?

 

The 1960s (and the Maxwell connection)

In 1962 the Canadian Trade Index lists the Company as Butler Metals Limited. This is a notable change, in that all previous available editions of the Trade Index from 1953 to 1962 gave the name as Butler Metal Products Limited. However, the 1964 edition lists the parent company of Butler Metals Limited as Maxwell Limited, of James Street, St Marys, Ontario. The listing for Maxwell Limited is shown (below) and to note is that the name W H Butler, as President, appears.

Canadian Trade Index entry for Maxwell Limited ~ 1964

The main reference for this period is another advertisement for the full range of Butler blow torches within the Caverhill, Learmont & Co Limited hardware catalogue of 1960 (left), written in both English and French. As discussed earlier, a very similar advertisement appeared in the same hardware catalogue of 1940 (see above: start of blow torch manufacture). The two advertisements differ slightly; most notably, the 1960 listing refers to the two quart size model (200S) which is not included in the 1940 listing. These differences aside, the 1960 version appears to be largely based on the 1940 version, in terms of the descriptions, parts lists, and illustrations used. Therefore, some caution should be exercised with regard to the information given in the 1960 version as this may not reflect the actual details of manufacture, components, or construction pertaining in 1960, for example, as suggested in Variations, and dating of Blow Torch examples, below.

Sources of information for this period conflict to some extent, and there is very little known of events as far as Butler is concerned. However, a brief description of Maxwell Limited, listed as parent company to Butler in 1964, might help to fill in some background. Maxwell was first established in Paris, Ontario in the late 1800s. It was owned and operated by the engineer Howard W Maxwell, and was a full processing plant, including a foundry, blacksmith shop, machine shop etc. The business later moved to St Mary's, Ontario in 1888, when the company became known as David Maxwell & Sons, and employed at one point over 100 people. Initially, the manufacture of farm equipment was the core business, but this grew to include ringer washing machines, lawn mowers, and included World War II munitions production, notably hand grenades. Possibly as early as 1949, Maxwell Limited began to form corporate alliances with other manufacturing companies under a holding company called Hochelaga. Principles of the various companies were principle officers of Hochelaga, and a subsidiary company, Mindustrial Corporation, was set up to ‘sub-manage’ those companies which included Butler Metals, Maxwell, Copp Clark Publishing, Marchand Furnace, Advanced Steel and possibly others. The executive from each company rotated in levels of responsibility as each was a principle officer of the overall Corporation. Maxwell purchased components during this period from other Mindustrial companies, including Butler Metals. In particular, though not exclusively, Butler were noted as supplying components to Maxwell for lawn mowers. 

At this time, Bill Butler - part of the original Butler Metals family - had commuted daily from Preston, or more precisely, from his farm near Galt, Ontario to Maxwells at St Marys, Ontario. In 1964 (the same year that Maxwell Limited are listed as parent company to Butler) W H (Bill) Butler is listed as President of Maxwell Limited. It has been suggested that these events of the 1960s were part of attempts by Maxwell to regain profitability. However, 1964 is the year that Maxwell Limited closed, whilst Butler Metals (possibly still under Bill Butler?) continued in business in Preston, still manufacturing components for the automotive industry, with blow torches, at that time, possibly forming a relatively smaller part of their overall production. 

Caverhill, Learmont & Co  ~ 1960

 

1970s: Final years of Blow Torch manufacture

The 1970 edition of the Canadian Trade Index lists the company as Butler Metal Products Company Limited, and the parent company as Mindustrial Corporation Limited, situated in Don Mills, Ontario, and listed as a holding and management company for subsidiaries, so the Butler / Mindustrial connection, possibly begun in 1949, still existed at this time. 

Ownership changed hands again in 1972, when Guthrie Corporation of London acquired the Company. Between 1971 to 1974, there are changes to the product listings within the Canadian Trade Index, and although details of those listings are not available, perhaps of most relevance is that blow torches, as far as Butler are concerned, are no longer mentioned in 1974. It is therefore reasonable to assume that it was around 1973 that Butler ceased direct involvement in blow torch production. As a result, it could be suggested that Butler's blow torch side was either sold to, or merged with Meaford Steel Products Limited (see immediately below), and it is in 1974 that a link can be established between Butler Metal Products Company Limited and Meaford Steel Products Limited. See the Canadian Trade Index entry for Meaford Steel, in 1974, below. Possibly Meaford Steel simply acquired the tools and machinery for blow torch manufacture from Butlers, and incorporated the name Butler, as it was a well known brand. 

That said, the probable reason for the end of Butler's direct involvement in blow torch manufacture is that by the 1970s the type of gasoline (and kerosene) blow torch which Butler produced was rapidly being replaced by the newer and lighter propane type torches - typified by Bernzomatic (Otto Bernz) - which were arguably considered easier and less hazardous to use. Another possible reason was the acquisition of the Company by Guthrie, whereby more emphasis was placed on the production of automotive components. Guthrie Corporation's activities were structured under a number of various operating divisions, automotive components being just one. This division consisted principally of Butler Metals, already a major supplier to General Motors, and Butler Polymet, who primarily manufactured and assembled plastic mouldings. Butler Polymet were a Delaware Corporation with operations in Canada, and were later acquired from Guthrie in 1978 by Rockwell International Corporation. The two Butler names (Butler Metals and Butler Polymet) are not, as far as can be found, connected in any other way.

As a footnote to Mindustrial Corporation Limited, one source states that they merged with Guthrie Canadian Investments Limited in 1978, to continue as Guthrie Canadian Investments Limited.

Canadian Trade Index entry for Meaford Steel Products ~ 1974

 

1970s: Meaford Steel Products Limited

The earliest reference is to the Meaford Wheelbarrow Company located on Marshall Street, Meaford in 1905. After 1920 it was known as Meaford Steel Company Products. The hardware side of the business continued until it was sold to Walker and Erskine in 1938. Walker and Erskine ran a hardware store in Meaford.

Again, with reference to the Canadian Trade Index (partial) series, of the Canada Science and Technology Museum it is known that from 1930 to 1974 the Company was located in Meaford and produced wheelbarrows, road scrapers and concrete carts. The 1972 and 1973 editions are not in the museum’s series, but the 1974 edition includes the entry for Butler-Meaford blow torches (above). There is a further gap in the museum’s series of the Canadian Trade Index, then in the 1977 edition and all others until 1985, there are no further references to blow torches. It therefore follows that Butler-Meaford blow torch production ceased at some point between 1974 and 1977.

One account is that Meaford Steel closed in Meaford about 1989(?), at which time they were making wheelbarrows. Another account is that the Company continued in Bloomfield, Ontario, although there is reference in September 1996, to the acquisition of the Wheelbarrow Division of Meaford Steel Products by the True Temper Hardware Company, Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. 

Butler-Meaford (Butler No 100A equivalent)

 Butler- Meaford (Butler No 100A equivalent)

Butler-Meaford (Butler No 150 equivalent)

Butler-Meaford blow torches. Was this the outcome of the acquisition of the Butler side of blow torch production by Meaford Steel? Note the somewhat basic labels on these torches.

 

 Post Blow Torch history

By the early 1980s Butler was a leading manufacturer and assembler of stamped metal products, especially for the auto industry, but they also produced parts for the compressor, appliance and similar industries. Accounts conflict, but in 1989 the Company was said to have been sold for $34 million to five senior plant managers and a Quebec equity corporation. Also at this time, Butler's parent company was said to be BMG Canada, with whom Butler shared premises in Cambridge, Ontario.

In 1996 the Company was sold to Oxford Investment Group Inc. a buyout firm looking to build a new automotive stamping group. The firm bought Butler for an undisclosed amount and helped it win a major contract with General Motors Corporation. Within a few years Oxford added two other stamping suppliers - Lobdell Emery Corporation and Howell Industries - creating Oxford Automotive Inc. which was run from a new headquarters in Troy, Michigan. 

In 1997, Butler Metal Products won a Cambridge Heritage Business Award, based on both the length of time it had been in operation, and the length of time it had operated in Cambridge (Preston). The city of Cambridge was formed in 1973 when the city of Galt merged with the towns of Preston and Hespeler and parts of the townships of Waterloo and North Dumfries. See:

http://www.cambridge.ca/en/index.aspx

Oxford Automotive closed The Company in September 2002 - due to what was claimed to be a continuing decline in business - with the loss of some 200 jobs. At one time, it is said, the Company employed 450 workers.

The last site of Butler? ~ 1574 Eagle Street North, Cambridge

 

Markings and decals used by Butler

Name stamped into tank, BUTLER STAMPINGS & MACHINE SCREWS LIMITED, PRESTON, ONTARIO, CANADA. This only appeared during the early period 1940 to 1949(?), possibly on all models, when the two-piece (cast brass) handle bracket assembly was used. (See variations below).

Decal: 1940 to c1949

Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited

Decal: c1949 to 1962

Butler Metal Products Limited

 Decal: 1962 to 1970

Butler Metals Limited

 Decal: 1970 to 1973(?)

Butler Metal Products Company Limited

 Markings and decals used by Butler. Note that some of the dates given are subject to verification

 

Variations, and dating of Blow Torch examples

As mentioned in the introduction, at first glance, a Butler blow torch (or one supplied to others) could have been produced at any time during the period that Butler produced blow torches. If a readable decal still exists (and this applies to Coleman also) this is the best indication of the approximate date of manufacture. See decals used by Butler, and decals used by Coleman. Apart from this (or where no decal exists), and bearing in mind the limited number of examples to be seen, and possible anomalies such as the replacement of non-original parts, it is possible to make some generalisations with regard to the type of handle bracket(s), the colour of the handle itself, and some other detail differences.

Two types of handle bracket(s) were used. The early (say 1940s) type was a two-piece bracket assembly, probably supplied throughout the Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited period. This comprised two separate (and differing) cast brass brackets, screwed into inserts fitted within the tank side. Each set of brackets differed depending on whether it was for the pint or the quart / two quart size tank. In addition, the two-piece bracket assembly was only used on models sold with the Butler name, although there is one exception to this, see Engineering Tool & Forgings Limited (ETF)

The other type of handle bracket used subsequently (though possibly fitted to the model 100 from the outset, as it is shown in the 1940 Caverhill, Learmont & Co Limited hardware catalogue of 1940) was a one-piece pressed brass type, soldered to the tank. It appears that only the one size of this type of bracket was ever produced, regardless of tank size. Both types of handle bracket(s) are shown below. Also see Collection: past and present.

With regard to handle colours, it appears that all Butler blow torch models, including all other Butler produced blow torches, be they for Coleman, Dominion, ETF, National Tool, Teco, or Butler-Meaford, were fitted with the clear varnished handle. The two exceptions to this are the red painted handle which appears only to have been used on early models (the 1940s) and only those sold with the Butler name, and where the earlier two-bracket handle arrangement was fitted. The other exception is the black painted handle, which interestingly only seems to appear on the Butler 200K (kerosene) models, sold in Great Britain by the agents William A Meyer of London. The use of the earlier two-piece handle bracket assembly, with black handles, indicates their use early in Butler’s production (1940s) and confirms William A Meyers' early involvement.

The only other notable variant is the control knob on the models 100 and 100A. It appears that the six-lobe cast (iron?) knob was fitted to early models of the 1940s. Thereafter, the six-sided pressed steel knob seems to have been the norm. Both types are shown below right. Models 150, 200 and 200S were always fitted with the black plastic (or bakelite) domed shape control knob, as is seen on any of the examples of these three models on this site. See Collection: past and present for example. Other slight differences can be seen, including two variants of the 200 / 200K burner, and variations in the windshields to the models 150 and 200 (the 100 & 100A were never fitted with windshields).

Early two-piece (cast brass) handle bracket assembly, and red painted handle

Later one piece (pressed brass) handle bracket, and clear varnished handle (See revisions)

Early two-piece (cast brass) handle bracket assembly, and black painted handle

Butler 100 and 100A burner assemblies. Left, the six-lobe cast (iron?) control knob, fitted to early models (1940s) possibly during the time the Company was Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited. Thereafter, the six-sided pressed steel knob - right - seems to have been the norm

 

Butler blow torch tank: materials of construction, and finishes.

Information has come to light (see Revisions to Website) regarding the construction of the tank of a Butler blow torch, or rather the materials used in its construction. The  documented information on this particular aspect of construction can be seen, for example, in the Caverhill, Learmont & Co hardware catalogue of 1940 which describes the tanks thus: "All models are constructed with solid drawn, highly polished brass bodies (tanks). Models 100 and 100A have terne plate bottoms while models 150 and 200 have brass bottoms". (Generally speaking, terne plate is a mild steel plate coated with an alloy of lead containing tin and antimony). However, a model 100A (see right) has come to light, which has an all steel tank, as the vial containing small magnets demonstrates. In the absence of mention of an all steel tank in any of the available advertisements / literature, the best assumption is that "all steel" tanks were a war time product, in order to save on the copper / brass required for components for the war effort. And if the move to an all steel tank was just a temporary war time measure, it would be reasonable to assume that advertising the fact was not high on Butlers' list of priorities whilst in the midst of orders for war related products.

However, if it is the case that the "all steel" tank was just a wartime departure, it is not known whether such examples were produced in the post-war years. It has been suggested that there could have been a move in the later period of Butlers' production towards a lower cost product, and indeed, a number of the main US blow torch manufacturers, in later years, switched to "all steel" tanks for some of their models, though this in itself is not to say that Butlers did so.

Self-evidently, a paint finish was applied to the "all steel" tank. Apart from protecting the steel surface, the tank then had the appearance of being brass. That is not to suggest that the paint finish was an attempt to disguise the steel surface, more likely, it could be suggested, a matter of producing uniformity of appearance across the range. That said, many examples of Butler produced blow torches had a paint finish to the tank, even when of brass construction. Quite what the purpose was is open to speculation, but it might be suggested that a paint finish (presumably including some form of primer) to the (unpolished) brass surface was a cheaper(?) alternative to a final buffing operation to the brass in order to achieve a high shine, which would then have had to have the addition of a clear lacquer finish. This variation in finishes to the tank, be it paint or lacquer (which included the handle bracket(s), though not the pump or any of the burner assembly) is readily observable on examples found today, but the extent to which one finish was used rather than another cannot be described or quantified in any detail.

 

A note about part numbers

The owners of a Butler 150 (in Canada) made contact and attached some photos. Of particular interest is that one photo depicted the number 445 (far left), imprinted or formed on the inside bottom face of the cast iron priming cup. 

This same part number, but prefixed "MO" (or "M0") can be seen on an example of a Dominion 504 (near left), but this time the mark is on the outside face of the priming cup. These part numbers appear to be on some, but by no means all, of the priming cups for the three models 100, 100A and 150.

On checking with the parts list of the Caverhill, Learmont & Co Limited hardware catalogue of 1940 part number 455 (yes, 455) is for the "priming cup and screw" for models 100, 100A and 150. This same number (455) but with a separate part number for the fixing screw (186), can be seen on the parts lists for both Coleman and Dominion blow torches.

The discrepancy between the numbers "455" and "445" cannot be explained.

A different shape of priming cup was produced for models 200 / 200A (and the Coleman & Dominion etc equivalents) and given part number 255, but this number (if it appears at all) has not been seen on an example. 

Although the number of Butler blow torch examples available for inspection is very small, it is probable that no other components were actually marked with their respective part numbers.

Butler 150. Priming cup, Part No 445

Dominion 504. Priming cup, Part No 445

 

Model number markings

Butler 100 

Butler 100A

Coleman 91 

 Coleman 92 

Dominion 504 

Teco 52 

Wherever the one-piece pressed brass type handle was fitted (see above) generally the model number was stamped into the top surface. It is possible that model numbers were also stamped into the handles of National Tool & Butler-Meaford models, but examples are not available to confirm this. 

In the case of ETF (Engineering Tool & Forgings) the one-piece pressed brass handle was believed never to have been used, and although the name "Engineering Tool & Forgings...etc" is clearly pressed into the tank, model numbers per se would not have been marked on the ETF range of blow torches. This would also have applied to those models of Butler blow torches where the two cast-brass bracket handle arrangement was fitted (see above).

 

Markings seen on the burner of Butler produced blowtorches, and confusion over the "200 K" mark.

Observation of the burner on any Butler produced blow torch, be it for Butler themselves, or for the known companies or distributors for which Butler produced blow torches (see list above) will show (though several burners are without any markings) the name "Butler", and / or the numbers "100", "150", or "200 K". This broadly differentiated the four models produced, the 100, 100A, 150 and 200 / 200S, see above

However, there is some confusion over the "200 K" marking, which is often incorrectly stated as being the model number of 200 / 200S examples seen for sale, in particular, on internet auction sites. However, model number 200 K is possibly correct for those models considered to have been produced for export, and probably with a black handle, notably for sale in Great Britain by William A Meyer (and possibly other export areas). See variations, and dating of blow torch examples above, and also the related William A Meyer leaflet. Reference to the Meyer leaflet further confuses when it is seen that the two models listed as being for paraffin are given the number "200 K", whilst model "200" is the number given for the quart size petrol example. The particular Meyer numbering may well have been devised solely by / for William A Meyer; we do not know.

Note that there is clearly no definitive explanation for these apparent variations due to the very small sample of actual models available for inspection.

 

Packaging and Instructions

Box and instructions for Butler 200 K                             See "200 K" mark, directly above.

Butler 150 with detachable label 

 Coleman 102 with box and instructions 

National No 20 with box 

Very little in the way of packaging or instructions is found for Butler related blow torches. Above are some examples. Click on to enlarge where appropriate.

 

Chronology - Summary of approximate dates and setup of Company

1892  The Butler Machine Company is established in Hamilton, Ontario.

1938  Butler relocates to Preston, Ontario and changes name to Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited.

1940  The Company begins the production of Blow Torches. (1939 suggested. See Revisions to Website).

1946 Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited  listed in Canadian Trade Index, and located at Guelph Street, Preston.

1949? The Company comes under the management of Mindustrial Corporation Ltd. The Company name changed to Butler Metal Products Limited at this time?

1953  The Canadian Trade Index lists the company as Butler Metal Products Limited, and advertisement appears in the 'Hardware and Metal' catalogue with the same name.

1962  The Company becomes (and the Canadian Trade Index lists the company as) Butler Metals Limited.

1964  The Canadian Trade Index lists the Parent company of Butler Metals Limited as Maxwell Limited. W H (Bill) Butler listed as President of Maxwell Limited.              Maxwell Limited close.

1970  Canadian Trade Index listing is for Butler Metal Products Company Limited. Mindustrial Corporation is still listed as management Company.

1972  The Company acquired by Guthrie Corporation of London.

1974  Blow torches no longer mentioned in the listing for Butler in Canadian Trade Index. Blow torch production sold / transferred to Meaford Steel? Butler-Meaford blow torches produced?

1974 - 1977? Butler-Meaford blow torches produced, and production ended, sometime during this period.

1980s  Butler listed as a leading manufacturer and assembler of stamped metal products.

1989  The Company said to have been purchased by a group of five senior plant managers and a Quebec equity corporation. BMG Canada said to be parent company of Butler.

1996  The Company was sold to Oxford Investment Group Inc. (later Oxford Automotive Group Inc).

1997  Butler Metal Products Company Limited received Cambridge Heritage Business Award for being in business for over 100 years, and having a continuous connection with Cambridge for over 40 years.

2002 (Sept)  The Company closed. Butler Metal Products Company Limited was at this time listed as being at 1574 Eagle Street North, Cambridge, Ontario, N3H 4S5.

 

Back to the Butler Blow Torches Home Page (above)

 

Butler Blow Torches produced for, or distributed by, others

 

Coleman Blow Torches

Coleman example: Model 92  (Butler No 100 equivalent)

Advertisement for Coleman Blow Torches. The date is believed to be 1942.

Advertisement for Coleman Brazing Torches. Possibly 1940s?

Coleman leaflet ~ believed to be 1951

 Coleman Blow Torches: Brief background, and associations with Butler

Butler are believed to have produced - at various times -  their full range of blow torches for the Coleman Lamp & Stove Company Limited, Toronto. The association was a long one, possibly from as early as 1942 (if not before) to something approaching 1970? Unfortunately, unlike Coleman US for which operations and products are well documented - mainly by the International Coleman Collectors Club - not  so much is known of Coleman's Canadian operations. Coleman opened their Toronto branch in the mid 1920s. Butler are listed as doing work for Coleman, Toronto, in the 1946 Canadian Trade Index, and by 1953, Coleman, Toronto are listed as Export Agents for Butler, but as discussed, nothing is known of Coleman's export activities in this respect. 

The Pressure Lamps International web site describes how after WWII, Coleman continued to expand, and following a resurgence of trade in the 1950s, with facilities in the USA and Canada, had licensing agreements for manufacture in Brazil, Mexico, Hong Kong and the Middle East. Lamps (lighting) were also made in England before and after the war. The Classic Camp Stoves website (article on Coleman, by Bud Michael) describes Coleman's post war (product) variants to include utility burners for restaurants, farms and trades, blow torches, home hot water heaters, and special purpose cookers and heaters. The mention here of blow torches post war fits the Butler / Coleman time frame, but, whilst advertisements for blow torches appear (some are reproduced here), blow torches as such do not appear in any known Coleman product or parts catalogues, although the Coleman 300 series blow lamps appear in an export catalogue of around 1948. See below.

The Coleman blow torch decals (below) were much like that used by Butler, and indeed, all but what is possibly the earliest example (below left) displayed the Butler name beneath that of Coleman. Why the (earliest?) decal appeared without Butler's name is not known. The decals are variously illustrated in the leaflets (above) employing artistic license, the decal being 'overprinted' on to the illustrations of the torches, as a decal is never seen in this position on an actual example. Also to note is that in each case, the illustrations show Butler's early handle bracket arrangements, believed only ever to have been supplied and fitted to early (1940s) models that were sold with just the Butler name. See Variations, and dating of blow torch examples for further discussion.

First of the advertisements (above centre) is a copy of a Coleman leaflet which is possibly dated 1942. It depicts what appears to be a Coleman model 91 (pint) and model 92 (quart). Unfortunately, the 1942 date cannot be substantiated, but if it could, it would establish a very early link between Butler and Coleman. Next is an advertisement for Coleman Brazing Torches, possibly from the 1940s, listing petrol (gasoline) models 101, 102, 151, 152, 201 & 202, and paraffin (kerosene) models 203 & 204. Finally, is a Coleman leaflet, believed to be 1951 (above right) which lists the full range of models, including the two-quart models 251 (petrol) and 252 (paraffin). See the range of models produced by Butler (above) for comparison.

 

Decals used by Coleman, with very approximate dates

Coleman decal, possibly first ever used. Note there is no mention of Butler.  The example to the right is a modern replacement or facsimile.

  Coleman decal - up to c1949

Coleman decal c1949 to 1962

Coleman decal 1962 onwards

To note here is the obvious similarity between the Butler and the Coleman decals

 

Coleman 'Simplified European Type' paraffin blow lamps: possible connections with Townson & Coxson Ltd ?

Of note is that according to a Coleman Export Catalogue of c1948 (below middle) a range of paraffin blow lamps (numbered 301, 302 & 303) were produced in North America. The advertisement actually states "The first Paraffin Blow Lamp of this simplified type ever made in North America". A further illustration is shown below left which appeared on a metal sign / advertisement along with other Coleman products. It is not known who manufactured these blow lamps, but they were certainly of a 'Simplified European Type' in that they were clearly based on the classic design of paraffin blow lamp which had been produced for many years by several makers in - primarily -  Sweden and England. The English maker Townson & Coxson produced paraffin blow lamps with the trade name Burmos below right, features of which bear a striking resemblance to the illustrations shown on both the metal sign and in the export catalogue. However, the only actual examples seen of a 'Simplified European Type' - models 301 and 302 - are shown below.

It may be surmised that there was a link between Coleman and Townson & Coxon, but even if this wasn't the case it is difficult to believe that Coleman produced (or had produced for them) these particular types of blow lamp without some form of collaboration with one or other of the European manufacturers of the time. However, as said, it is not known who manufactured the 'Simplified European Type' of blow lamp. It could have been Coleman themselves, but there is no evidence to suggest that Coleman ever produced blow torches / blow lamps, despite having the technical expertise and facilities for large scale stove and lamp manufacture. We know there was some form of connection between Coleman and Monitor Engineering and Oil Appliances Limited, but was this relevant? Or were Butler themselves involved? It seems unlikely, so this question will remain unanswered unless further information comes to light. But the claim that this type of blow lamp was made in North America is important. 

Study of the export catalogue advertisement (below middle) shows 'overprinting' of the (earliest?) Coleman decal (above left: decals used by Coleman). The same Coleman decal is also seen on the example of what is believed to be a model 301 below.

Coleman metal advertising sign, depicting - amongst other products - the 'Simplified European Type' of blow lamp.

Advertisement from Coleman Export Catalogue of around 1948, showing the Coleman 'Simplified European Type' of blow lamp.

Examples of a pint and a quart paraffin blowlamp by Townson & Coxson of Birmingham, England, with the trade name Burmos. These two examples are believed to be of WW2 date, as the tanks are of steel. Was this the pattern adopted by (or for) Coleman for their 'Simplified European Type' of blow lamp?

 

The Coleman 300 Series. Above left: Illustration from a Coleman Export Catalogue of what is believed to be a model 303 (2 pint). Directly to its right is what is taken to be a model 302 (pint). The other four photographs show a model 301 (two-thirds pint). For some reason the tank of the 301 was produced with a curious raised section, where the burner tube emerges; perhaps this was to accommodate a standard length of fuel feed pipe (within the tank) as part of a standard burner assembly for all three models. Also to note, from what can be seen from the photographs of models 301 and 302, is that the pump body / housing is an integral part of the tank, so that the pump assembly (as a whole) cannot be removed from the tank. However, as is normal, the pump rod is removable for replacement of the pump washer / leather. The arrangement of an "integral" pump body / housing is not unique to these models. It has been seen as a variation of a British Monitor 132 blow lamp (paraffin, half-pint) and a Swedish paraffin half-pint blow lamp (of unknown manufacture). Note: The photographs of the model 302 are a later addition. The notes have also been revised. See "Revisions to Website".

 

Coleman blow lamps: possible connections with Monitor Engineering and Oil Appliances Limited?

There are to be found - though infrequently - both paraffin and petrol blow lamps with the name Coleman-Monitor either attached to, or imprinted into, the tank body, as in the examples below. It can only be concluded from this that there was some form of collaboration between Coleman and Monitor Engineering and Oil Appliances Limited, of Birmingham, England. 

One pint paraffin blow lamp with the  name 'Coleman-Monitor' impressed into the tank.

One pint paraffin blow lamp with nameplate 'Coleman-Monitor'. This, to all appearances, is a version of a Monitor model 25 or 26.      

Small petrol blow lamp with namepalte 'Coleman-Monitor'. This, to all appearances, is a version of a Monitor model 130 (two variants can be seen with slightly differing burners).

 

Coleman 'Hybrid' blow torches

It is almost certain that Coleman did not produce the lamps / blow torch hybrids as illustrated by the examples below. Nor did any other manufacturer for that matter. These assemblies typically comprise a pressure lantern tank, or sometimes a table lamp tank, with a mismatched blow torch burner assembly. Often the tank is a Coleman, whilst examples of burner assemblies seen range from Butler, Turner, Craftsman (Sears & Roebuck) and others, including what appears to be a paint type burner possibly from an early Clayton & Lambert (below right). Some of the examples seen have handles, often crude affairs as seen with the example below left, though many do not have handles at all. 

Two examples of Coleman 'Hybrid' blowtorches. In both cases a Coleman lamp base with a Butler burner assembly.

Example of a Coleman 'Hybrid'. In this case a paint type burner assembly which appears to be from an early Clayton & Lambert.

 

Dominion Blow Torches

Dominion torches were manufactured in Preston, Ontario, and were effectively Butler torches with a ‘Dominion’ label. As discussed, Butler made torches for Coleman, and the family likeness between Butler, Coleman & Dominion - and other - torches, is readily seen. The Dominion torch leaflet and parts list (below left) actually illustrates Butler (or could be Coleman) models, as the Butler (or Coleman) decal can just be seen on the front of the torch in the photographs of the various models, particularly the 500 / 501. Very much a guess, but the notation on the back of the leaflet could date it at 1960.

 Dominion Leaflet ~ 1960? 

 Dominion example: Model 504 (Butler No 150 equivalent)         

 Dominion model 502 (Butler No 100A equivalent) with different (later?) decal

It is interesting to note that the very same illustrations of the spare parts shown in the Dominion leaflet can also be seen in the Coleman leaflet above. At this time we know nothing more about Dominion blow torches, or their direct connections with Butler.

 

Engineering Tool & Forgings Limited (ETF) St Catherine's, Ontario

ETF 100Q (Butler No 100 equivalent)

ETF 100Q  (Butler No 100 equivalent). Two examples, both with stamped name / logo (right).

Located in St Catherine’s, Ontario, this ‘make’ of blow torch is very much a Butler, but nothing more is known at this stage. Was it produced by Butler and sold under the ETF name? Possibly these were produced for ETF, who requested that their name be stamped on the tank as a means of identifying the blow torch as their property. This marking of a company's name (who are owner's, rather than manufacturer's or retailers) is occasionally seen on both US and European blow torches / blow lamps.

The name is stamped on the tank directly behind the handle, in the same position as, and in a similar manner to, the Butler example above. It is very likely that this version of a Butler is contemporaneous with the earlier Butler models (Butler Stampings & Machine Screws Limited, of the 1940s) because in each case the tank was stamped in a similar position and manner, as well as being fitted with the earlier type (separate) handle brackets. Also note the use of the clear varnished handle (as opposed to the red painted handle) in the above examples. See variations and dating of blow torch examples.

Link to an excellent website relating to Engineering Tool & Forgings Limited, where an example of an EFT model 100Q can be seen: http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?PHPSESSID=

Note: Later information (March 2014, see Revisions to Website) has come to light in an advertisement for three models of EFT blow torch: models 100Q and 100P (quart & pint respectively), model 125 (quart) and model 200 (quart). See below left.

The advertisement is dated 1939 which does not directly accord with the start date given for Butler blow torch production of 1940. However, as the 1940 date (though believed accurate) is not confirmed, the two dates (1939 & 1940) are near enough until (and if) further information emerges. 

This early date also confirms the suggestion above that the production of blow torches for ETF was contemporaneous with the earlier (if not the first) Butler production. 

Also because of the advertisement describing the three models as "brands" it would be reasonable to suggest that blow torches produced for ETF, and with the ETF name, were for the purposes of resale / retail, rather than the suggestion above that the marking of the company name was simply to identify the blow torches as ETF's property. 

Further information (added April 2017, see Revisions to Website) is the advertisement for the ETF model 150, on the immediate left. For whatever reason, this model number differs from those described in the Cochrane-Dunlop advert, but would appear to be the equivalent of the Butler model 150.

Cochrane - Dunlop Hardware Ad ~ 1939(?)

Advertisement / box label(?) for the ETF model 150

 

 

National Blow Torch, National Tool Distributors, Toronto

 National Tool No 20 (Butler No 100 equivalent). Two examples.

 National Tool No 30 (Butler No 150 equivalent)

 Above: Another Butler product, in this case sold under the National Blow Torch label, with National as distributors or retailers?

Far left: A Darlton blowlamp with the National label, the same as used on the Butler made blow torch above, and presumably intended for distribution and resale under the National name. Darlton blowlamps were manufactured by Prymace Engineering Co Pty Ltd of Sydney, prior to 1948. 

After this time the manufacturer is listed as Commonwealth Metallic Pty Ltd, Sydney, so possibly the outcome of a takeover. The blowlamps produced by both of these companies were distributed by Darlton Products Pty Ltd, of Sydney. Of all the manufacturers in Australia, Darlton produced the greatest range of models.

Darlton (Australia) blowlamp with the National Torches label, above left. To the right, much the same blowlamp with the Darlton label

 

Teco - Eaton's of Canada

 TECO Model 52 (Butler No 100A - quart - equivalent 

 TECO Model 53? (Butler No 100A - pint - equivalent). Two examples.

Eatons were actually Canada's largest retail chain store until their bankruptcy in 1999. The photos show a ‘TECO, Eaton’s of Canada’ Model 52, which is effectively a Butler model 100A (quart), and a Model 53, effectively a Butler model 100A (pint). The Eaton's model numbers (52 and 53) are as yet unconfirmed, yet curiously they relate to the equivalent Dominion models with numbers 502 and 503. Just a coincidence?

 

Back to the Butler Blow Torches Home Page (above)

 

Other Canadian Blow Torch Manufacturers / Retailers

 

Eaton's Dominion

The gasoline torch pictured below left, believed to be from 1932, and with the label Eaton’s Dominion Torch (See also TECO - Eatons of Canada, and Dominion, above) clearly has links to the British manufacturer, T E Bladon & Son Ltd., Birmingham. There is an unmistakable similarity in the general appearance and use of components between the Eaton’s torch and Bladon's ‘Diamond Brand’ - and later - torches. So we can be reasonably sure that Bladon at one time made torches which were sold or distributed in Canada by Eaton’s. The other possibility is that these torches were manufactured under some form of licence in Canada, but this would seem unlikely. What we do know is that Bladon's Diamond Brand torches were produced in Birmingham from c1926 to the 1930s, and therefore certainly predate Butler’s start date for blow torches.

  Eaton's Dominion Torch - possibly 1932 (similar to Bladon's B64)    

 Bladon's Diamond Brand (unknown model)

 Other (probably later) Bladon models (model B64 to the right)

Note the similarities. Although curiously, the Eaton's torch displays features from both the Diamond Brand, and other, Bladon torches. It is also interesting to note that the Diamond Brand torch pictured (centre) is more in the American style of gasoline torches of this period, in that it has the pump mounted in the top of the tank, unlike the Eaton's which has the typical Bladon side-mounted pump, and the burner is very much American in style. However, we should be cautious when drawing such comparisons, as Bladon were known for producing various blow lamps / torches which were not necessarily cross-referenced or listed in their literature. 

 

The Brown Boggs Co Ltd - Hamilton, Ontario

At least two model variants can be linked with this manufacturer, as they display a soldered brass name plate with the Brown Boggs name. They will probably have pre-dated Butler blow torches, but unfortunately no other information regarding Brown Boggs as a manufacturer of blow torches is available at this time, and there are no blow torches listed in the 1912 catalogue below centre. An example of a soldering iron (copper) stamped with the name Brown Boggs below right, is, however, in the Catalogue. http://openlibrary.org/books/OL22862436M/The_Brown_Boggs_Company_Limited. Note that 'Lake Superior' was a brand name for all their soldering coppers.

However it should be noted that the German manufacturer Barthel (who sold blow torches in the US through their agent the Globe Gaslight Company of Boston) are believed to have manufactured a very similar looking kerosene blow torch around the 1910s (model Neukarneol). In addition, Clayton & Lambert, and A E Lovett Co, both US manufacturers, also listed the Barthel model, or one very similar to it.   It could therefore be argued that Brown Boggs bought in their blow torches from one of the aforementioned companies, and applied their own name plate. That said, the handle on the known Brown Boggs examples is, for whatever reason, of a different form. So perhaps the jury is out on this one!

Brown Boggs are still in existence - based in Toronto. See http://www.brownboggs.com/history.htm.                     

Paraffin blow torch with Brown Boggs name plate

Extract from Brown Boggs 1912 catalogue

Example of Brown Boggs 'Lake Superior' soldering iron

 

Canadian Hauck Burner Co Ltd - Port Hope, Ontario

The Canadian Hauck Burner Co Ltd was - it can only be assumed - some sort of subsidiary to the Hauck Manufacturing Company of Brooklyn, NY. This latter mentioned company is still in business today, as a subsidiary of Ruhrgas AG. See http://www.hauckburner.com/history.asp

The only clue available at this time is the information on the name plate shown below. Otherwise, nothing more is known about the Canadian Hauck Burner Co Ltd, despite inquiries by the author to the present Hauck Manufacturing Company.

 Canadian Hauck No 10 Kerosene

 Canadian Hauck No 10 Kerosene: Name plate

 Canadian Hauck No 14 Kerosene

 Nothing more is known about the Canadian Hauck Burner Co Ltd at this time, despite inquiries by the author to the present Hauck Manufacturing Company

 

Back to the Butler Blow Torches Home Page (above)

 

Information Sources and Acknowledgements

As there has been no direct access to the majority of the information (as the author does not live in Canada), it has only been possible to construct this brief history with the assistance of a few very helpful people in Canada, as well as the searching of a large number of websites too numerous and - in many cases - too obscure to list; and access to the author's own - and limited - items of primary source material. Because of the fragmentary nature and diverse sources of much of the information, inevitably some of it may conflict, and therefore the author accepts all responsibility for any errors or inaccuracies that may have resulted.

Suzanne Beauvais (Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation) was my main source of archived & background information, and I am very grateful to her for taking the time and for having the interest to search out a lot of information, as well as conveying it to me via eMail and post. Without this help, this project would never have got off the ground.

Jim Quantrell (City of Cambridge, Ontario, Archives) sent me an outline history of Butler, extracted from a business history which he wrote in 1988. This provided me with an indispensable framework on which to build.

Mary Smith (Curator, St. Marys Museum, Ontario) gathered together a lot of very useful background information for me, with particular reference to Maxwell Ltd, and the company's links to Butler. This included taking the trouble to contact people who had been directly connected to Maxwell.

Laura Lamb (Hamilton Library) took the time and trouble to search out all the information on William Butler's history during the time he lived and worked in Hamilton, Ontario.

Donna Binsted (Meaford Express) provided very useful  background information, with particular reference to Meaford Steel.

Dave Mather (The Meaford Connection) provided background information and a useful insight into the link between Butler and Meaford Steel.

The Corporation of the City of Cambridge website. 

Vintage Blowtorches, An Identification and Rarity Guide, by Ronald Carr, Charles Smith & Graham Stubbs. Information relating to the Coleman Lamp & Stove Company, the Globe Gaslight Company, Barthel, and Brown Boggs Co Ltd.

The Blowlamp Society. Information relating to Darlton blowlamps, Australia.

McGill Digital Archive: Canadian Corporate Reports. Reference to Mindustrial Corporation

Roger Kingdon (blow torch enthusiast, Canada): Photographs of Engineering Tool & Forgings Limited blow torch.

The International Coleman Collectors Club kindly supplied some of the items of Coleman literature.

 

Links

Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation http://techno-science.ca/en/index.php

City of Cambridge, Ontario, Archives https://www.cambridge.ca/en/index.aspx

St. Marys Museum, Ontario http://stmarysmuseum.ca/

Hamilton Library http://www.myhamilton.ca/public-library

Meaford Express http://www.metroland.com/communities/100316/meaford_express

The Meaford Connection http://www.meaford.com/town/people.htm

The Corporation of the City of Cambridge http://www.cambridge.ca/

McGill Digital Archive: Canadian Corporate Reports. Reference to Mindustrial Corporation http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/hrcorpreports/home.htm

The International Coleman Collectors Club http://www.internationalcolemancollectors.com/ 

Classic Camp Stoves http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/index.php?

Pressure Lamps International http://www.pressurelamps.co.uk/

Engineering Tool & Forgings Limited: http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?PHPSESSID=56c82bkmd7i31vvlvrakqeaqa0&topic=2981.0

The Engineman: Model Engineering: http://www.modelengines.info/

The Blow Torch Collectors Association: http://vintageblowtorches.com/

The Blowlamp Society: http://www.blowlampsociety.com/

 

Collection (past & present)

Butler 150                 (Pint)

Butler 150            (Pint)

Butler 200           (Pint)

Butler 200 K (Pint)  See "200 K" mark

Butler 200 K (Quart) See "200 K" mark

Butler 200S      (Two Quart)

Dominion 504  (Quart)

 

Back to the Butler Blow Torches Home Page (above)

Back to the Blowlamp.co.uk Home Page

 

Feedback / Comments

Any feedback, comments, corrections or additional material would be very much appreciated. Please visit the contact page

 

Revisions / Updates to Website

March 2014: The Butler History has been revised accordingly.  (1) Information relating to Engineering Tool & Forgings Ltd (ETF) has been added. See ETF, and also "The range of models produced by Butler for themselves and for others", where the ETF model numbers have been added. The ETF information also suggests a start date of 1939 for Butlers' blow torch production. This suggested date has been added to the section on Start of Blow Torch manufacture, and elsewhere, where the start date occurs. (2) A photograph of a Coleman model 302 has been added. See illustrations of the Coleman 300 series. The note relating to the Coleman 300 series has been revised accordingly. (3) Information relating to the materials of construction of the tanks of Butler blow torches has been added. See "Butler blow torch tank: materials of construction, and finishes".

October 2014: (1) Minor revisions to the notes on Coleman blow torches / blow lamps. (2) Link to the Blowlamp.co.uk Home Page added.

January 2015: Site maintenance;  October 2015: Error correction;  08 June 2016: Site maintenance.

April 2017: (1) Site layout completely updated. (2) Revisions to contents (home) page. (3) Advertisement / box label for ETF model 150 added, and reference made to this model in the "range of models produced by Butler" chart. (4) Photo of Canadian Government ordnance mark on Butler 200S added. (5) Butler advertisement dated 1949 added. Date range for name change to Butler Metal Products Ltd amended accordingly. (6) Variations, and dating of blow torch examples section: correction to handle illustration. (7) New sections added: A note about part numbers; model number markings; markings to burners / the "200 K" mark. (8) National blow torch: Darlton (Australia) blowlamp, sold under the National label. (9) Links and web addresses updated as necessary. (10) Collection (past & present): Addition of the "200 K" reference to appropriate photos.

 

Copyright: A note from the author

For articles such as this, where it is impractical to gather all the information from primary sources, much of the material, including a number of illustrations and photographs, is sourced from the Internet. However, such information, from whatever source, should not simply be "cut and paste" (unless clearly noted as such, and acknowledged). Copying such "blocks" of information is effectively plagiarism; it can take such information out of the context in which it was originally intended, which can mislead and sometimes compound errors. Where possible, the principle of "fair use" of information is herewith employed. However, copyright laws do exist for very good reasons, and the owner of photographic or written material has every right to object to its "re-use" for whatever reason. If anyone objects to the use of any information or illustrations within this article, or indeed anywhere on this website, please make this known and it will be rectified as soon as possible.